3/7/16

Skit: meds on meds on meds

Not so long ago I was diagnosed with anxiety. I mean it makes sense, the panic attacks, the racing thoughts, over thinking, and so much more. My anxiety manifest itself as me picking at myself both physically, verbally, and emotionally. I pull the hairs out of my knees and elbow. I tear myself down when I'm alone.  I get really insecure about things I'm normally very confident in. Anexiety is an ugly monster that is in cahoots with my depression. They work togther in the worse ways.  I'm to tierd to do anything buy the the fear of the disappointment of not doing my work actually paralyzes me. But that's just my anxiety. People experience the same mental illness differently just like two people with the same cancer will have two very different experiences. The best thing people can do when a person confides in you and tells you they are struggling with mental illness is believe them.  Do not try to fix them.  Do not offer them different homeopathic remedies unless they ask.  Ask them calmly what you can do to support them. I find that being there for them, being that ear or shoulder, is all we really want. The worst thing you can do is become part of their support network and then abandon them. If you can't be part of the support network let them know up front.  It doesn't make you a bad friend.  Sometimes it requires a lot from a person to be the support for a person with mental illness. I need someone to keep my nails and toes done so I don't pick at the cuticles around the nails. I need someone to check my knees and elbows for signs of picking so that we can keep track of my progress for my doctor so I don't lie to my doctor. I need someone who will answer the phone no matter what time it is so I can talk to someone while I go through my panic attacks. That's a lot. But I'm lucky enough to have loved ones who will do that for me.  Not everybody has that but I think everyone needs it.  I'm proud to be part of many people's support network. I love these people and I  will do anything for them.  The people in mine would do anything for me.  Knowing that I am loved is a huge part of what helps me get through each day.  That's calms me down the most, someone telling me over and over they love me and why.  So tell someone you love them today.  One four letter word makes a hell of a difference.

No comments: