10/10/13

Skitt: letters to my Univeristy

Chancellor Phyllis M. Wise,
         Talk is fine but action is better. A good way to really show that the University really wants to support Inclusive Illinois and a diverse student body is to address some very important issues. Important issues could be anything from current movements on campus to making everyday actions such as going to the restroom more inclusive. Did you know that the Materials Science and Engineering Building does not have a women's restroom on the first floor. It has men's restroom on every floor but if you are female identifying you have to go upstairs to the second floor and then wander through a maze before being able to go to the restroom. All of that trouble just to go to the bathroom seems unreasonable to me. Now what if I was a Genderqueer student, gender non conforming, or something else that doesn't fit nicely into U of I's gender binary system where would I have to go for the closest gender neutral bathroom?  Lucky for me I am so close to the Main Quad and the Illini Union's family restroom. I  have to go all the way across the street and down half a block in the middle of my lecture because that is the closest gender neutral bathrooms, which for many students of this specific gender demographic is the only type of bathroom they feel safe enough to use. Why are male identifying students the only one's that have the luxury of conveniently placed bathrooms all over campus?  That does not sound like the Campus takes " equal access" seriously  or that it "is our standard practice".


okay so when i searched genderqueer i got this. and i would like to say that the genderqueer community if this is your actual mascot has the cutest most fierce mascot of all  

No comments: